Sunday 7 April 2019

Road trip

Yesterday we made the trip down to visit the in-laws. Beautiful sunshine at home, clouding over as we travelled south.

The kids are busy on Saturday mornings so this was an afternoon journey. Despite expectations to the contrary the traffic wasn't too bad, although to be fair I did snooze through the worst bits. If you can manage to stay awake on long car journeys I salute you. I can't. At least not when it's a well-known route. When we're exploring new places and seeing new things I'm all over it. When I know where I'm going I'm out like a light after 15 minutes on a motorway. Is that just me?

Anyway, a few hours and a comfort stop later we arrived for a 3-night stay. I hadn't realised quite how quiet things could be at home without my voice until I had this bad dose of laryngitis. It's continuing here, with an extremely hushed evening meal. The only conversation seemed to be about how people missed my conversation. Funny how you can get talked about, and not to, when you're sitting right there. It felt a little like going to my own funeral!

The upside of not talking is time to concentrate on being creative. Since meeting Lucy of Attic 24 at Black Sheep Wools a little while back I've had a pack of wool and her neat ripple pattern just waiting for a break between projects. This is that time, and I'm so excited to finally be making a start. When I explained to Lucy how new I am to crochet (7 weeks now) and the very few projects I've done (3 hats, a blanket, a scarf and a multitude of granny squares) and the stitches I've used (although I've learnt through YouTube with US terminology) she reassured me that I'd be able to handle the blanket pattern. She said it was quite a nice one to get into a rhythm with, and she was not wrong.

When the pattern said chain 213 my heart sank a little. The chaining is easy but I find that working that first row into the chain is so fiddly. It wasn't too bad in the end, and now I'm into the rows of pattern I'm absolutely loving it. I managed 6 rows yesterday, so 3 beautifully wavy bands of colour are ready and waiting to be added to this morning. Doesn't it just make your heart feel happy to see a project start to take shape?!

I'm working on this while I'm here, I'm in the middle of a quilt project at home, and I've got a writing day retreat next weekend to really get to grips with an idea and wrestle into shape, so this Easter break I am all about creativity.

I hope you're able to find time to feed your soul and be creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment